Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The creativity of snow

Snow is art.

Look outside after snowfall. Trees become stoic statues and lawns a blank white canvas. Nature's jagged edges disappear, except for finely carved ice daggers that flow from drain pipes.

Moist, firm snow can be sculpted easier than clay. Snowballs are simplest. I made a snow angel up at Jim's cabin a couple weekends ago. Today, a carrot-nosed snowman stared into the kitchen door, until one of my nephews literally tackled my eight-foot man of snow to the ground. A snow fort followed, complete with secret tunnel and the requisite snowball fight.

Freshly fallen snow is an artist's playfield. So go ahead and create some fleeting art. The fact it's temporary doesn't matter--art should always be, first and foremost, for the artist.



PS - Over the holidays, I was supposed to get back to writing my novel...but I wouldn't trade playtime with my nephews for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment