Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Farewell, Paddy

Paddy (aka Paddykins or Padwon),

You were an old girl when I met you. Yet unforgettably cute and feisty with an indomitable spirit--and appetite. Your teeth were few but your experiences were many. I remember the time when our daily ritual involved me writing 2,000 words and taking you for an afternoon walk in Mokpo, South Korea. We managed 76,000 words worth of walks. I still recall the Koreans who were curious about you. You diverted attention from my long hair and beard to your white curls and adorable snout. The locals who tried to pet you didn't realize you weren't one to mess with. I can hardly blame you for snapping at them--I'd probably do the same if a stranger thrust their fingers in my face. You knew how to keep your boundaries, a lesson I'm still learning. Despite your size, you were the alpha-dog, keeping Xuxa (and Luna) in line.

Our adventures were many. That time we snuck you onto a bus, and didn't get caught until we arrived at the airport. Hiking around Alexander Falls on my birthday, carrying you in a bag over my shoulder. The low tide walk just outside White Rock. You made it all the way out to the marker (although you refused to go on another walk for days afterward).

Even though you could be a curmudgeon, you made your way into my heart. I miss you, Paddy.

1 comment: